Tuesday, February 02, 2010

It's been a while, I know. But it's that time of year.......


ISAT PREP


ew. I hate it.

Now, before I get crazy complaining about it, I have to say I have it better than most. But here's my big dilemma: My school has no reading curriculum. Without a curriculum, it makes it extraordinarily difficult for a brand spankin' new teacher to know what the hell to teach. So imagine my dismay when we started all this nonsense a couple of weeks ago and I realized that I had not explicitly taught the skills my students needed to be successful on these tests! Ah, the joys of teaching.....??

On a positive note, I think I wrote recently about re-formatting my literacy block. Let me tell you, it turned out AWESOME. I have had the most productive month of reading. Every kid has a schedule that they know how to follow. They have all the expectations laid out for them in a weekly packet (that is low stress to create). There is exactly one assignment that needs to be completed for a grade every day (but I only grade 2 assignments a week) and the kids are not allowed to ask me any questions (aka they must be independent workers!) until the 3rd 20 minute period of the block. I have students working independently, in small groups, reading and writing, working with words and creating meaning, reading in guided groups with me, all simultaneously!

I'm just really proud is what I think I mean to say. I created meaning and purpose in a non-existent curriculum. I gave students direction and they have said to me over and over how much they enjoy the new schedule. I don't feel stressed out anymore because it's easy to plan and the kids are doing what they are supposed to. It's pretty great :-)

And things are going well in general I suppose. So.....yay!

No comments: